Vegas Vampires
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combat Questions

4 posters

Go down

Combat Questions Empty Combat Questions

Post  TomSawyer Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Questions that arose during a spar.

-Would someone using Shape of the Beat to shift into Fight form be able to defend during the shift?
-And are the allowed to burn bp to boost Atts and/or activate Discs during?

Neither Drakar or I could find anything in the books about it...

-How do Strength specialties come into play, if you can't use sdice during damage?

-If you botch a damage roll, but still have Pot, (i.e. +4 Pot, but botch for a -1) how much damage is that?

-Frenzy and blood pool rules, how does this work?

(This is how Drak and I played it:
<JackSilvestra> I've always thought that since during physical provacation, the frenzy check is Self-Control diff 6, that you could get down to about 4 and still have that diff 6.
<JackSilvestra> With 3 bp left, diff 7, 2 left, diff 8, 1 left, diff 9, and 0 left, diff 10)
TomSawyer
TomSawyer
Primogen
Primogen

Back to top Go down

Combat Questions Empty Re: Combat Questions

Post  DoodleSprite Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:58 am

Frenzy and blood pool rules, how does this work?

(This is how Drak and I played it:
<JackSilvestra> I've always thought that since during physical provacation, the frenzy check is Self-Control diff 6, that you could get down to about 4 and still have that diff 6.
<JackSilvestra> With 3 bp left, diff 7, 2 left, diff 8, 1 left, diff 9, and 0 left, diff 10)

I have no problem with this interpretation of blood frenzy rolls and rules. Let it stand.

-If you botch a damage roll, but still have Pot, (i.e. +4 Pot, but botch for a -1) how much damage is that?

I would use it as simple math, given Potence is auto. a -1 botch on damage, plus 4 potence, would be 3, but given damage was a botch, maybe your hand would sting a bit from the punch.

-How do Strength specialties come into play, if you can't use sdice during damage?

Given the the description of the strength Attribute itself partially describes it as how hard you can hit characters, I have no issue with sdice being used as damage. I tried to look it up in the book and found nothing on whether you could or could not use specialties. Though maybe I was looking in the wrong place. If someone can find that rule let me know. Til then, you can use Sdice in damage.

-Would someone using Shape of the Beat to shift into Fight form be able to defend during the shift?
-And are the allowed to burn bp to boost Atts and/or activate Discs during?

During the shift they would be able to defend but at a higher diff by 2. However during the shift they would NOT be able to burn bp or activate discs. After they are shifted they could burn blood, discs, it would depend. Obviously some would become moot or unusable (claws, if a wolf, you already have them, Dom, in animal form you cannot issue a verbal command, etc).

DoodleSprite
Elder
Elder

Back to top Go down

Combat Questions Empty FAST DRAW - Secondary Skill

Post  Drakar O`Brian Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am

Would a roll for Fast Draw be Dex+Melee to draw the weapon and use it in the same turn? And if one has a specialty of Lighting speed in Dex, would it be an Sdice roll?

This question ws answered in dice.. NVM.. Smile

Last edited by Drakar O`Brian on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drakar O`Brian
Ghoul
Ghoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexi Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 pm

With sdice on dmg, the only fear I have as an ST is the gap we are creating from young PC's and Older ones. Ive seen channels go through 'growing' pains and find themselves with alot of complaints for it.

Perhaps, as a suggestion from some one who ST's and not just scours books for vague answers to vague questions often found on IRC for combat based PC's add a bonus for the Spec's like Iron fist. +1 die to dmg rolls when using fists ect ect? That way people don't feel their spec's are waisted as most spec's arnt used in daily RP as this game is made for TT and LARP. Irc is at a minor disadvantages where we have use our own common sense to figure it out because not all RP is STed like on games found outside text.

Just a concept Very Happy I wouldn't have any problems coming up with a Spec chart we can work out for issues as they arise.
Alexi
Alexi
Sheriff
Sheriff

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexi Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:53 pm

I found the section for dmg and botching. No such thing as botching a dmg roll in the sense of causing yourself pain. It states the blow just glances off. That can be interpreted in different ways when using pot as it doesn't go into detail there. So the question is keep the simple math and subtract the -# or cancel Pot out.

If any one is curious where I found it go to page 208 in the core rule book 3rd ed. Above the Combat system chart, below agg dmg.
Alexi
Alexi
Sheriff
Sheriff

Back to top Go down

Post  DoodleSprite Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Thank you Alexi for finding that information!

And as for your suggestion for the damage/spec chart etc, I am all for it. I like the idea of instead of using sdce, just add an extra die or so for the specialty. Run with it!

DoodleSprite
Elder
Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexi Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm

What I have thus far. I could use some help on the Stamina section.

Strength Specialty function
Iron Grip: reroll 10’s on holds, grapples and the like.
Powerful Arms: reroll 10’s for breaking things, punching through doors or walls.
Iron fists: +1 Die on damage rolls done by bare fists.

Dexterity Specialty function
Lithe: reroll 10’s on flexibility, bending and fitting into small places
Swift: reroll 10’s when running
Feline: reroll 10’s on balance checks
Lightning Reflexes: reroll 10’s on reflexes

Stamina Specialty function
Tireless: reroll 10’s on running, swimming, climbing ect
Determined:
Tough as Nails: reroll 10’s on soak rolls
Resolute:
Alexi
Alexi